måndag 21 mars 2011

Lemon shrimps

Woke up today in Hikkaduwa, by lunch we were already fifty kilometers away, in the little village of Mirissa, famous for its untouched beaches and surferfriendly waves. Our driver, Jabeer, put us up to this wonderful beach hotell, and its kind of a whole world in a hotell - though its small. Here we have very fast broadband internet, which is very very rare in Sri Lanka. And on the roof is a restaurant that soon turned out to be the best restaurant of this whole trip so far.

For very little money we picked out fried shrimps with fries from the menue. Actually we went up on the roof not quite sure wether it was a restaurant or not but there were tables there that made it look a little bit like a school cafeteria. It was totally empty except from this little boy with bloody teeth who sat in the corner writing in a economy journal of some kind. He turned out to be the chef and we definitly had very low expectations to start with. Then a austrian surfer woman turned up and claimed it to be the best food she had ever tasted, so we didnt know exactly what to believe. But she was indeed correct, this food... the schrimps were p e r f e c t! Lemonfried, with perfectly salted french fries and spicy coldslaw salad. Amazed, we ordered banana pancaces for desert, hoping it would be as spectacular, and it was. We rolled down the stairs into our room for a brief nap.

The waiter recommended a gingerbeer for us to drink. We originally wanted the ordinary Coca Cola for Jessica and Fanta for me, but appearantly he didnt have either one, at least not cold ones, so he thought we'd be better of trying this beer made of ginger. It was not very bad. I dont know why it was called beer, it tasted nothing like it, but it was very spicy and sweet. When I, later, asked him for a supermarket so that I could buy "lemon puffs" he told us that he prefered the "ginger puffs" but thats when I draw the line. The ginger line! I got hooked on these lemonpuffs just a few days ago. When I wrote about when Jessicas biological uncle here gave us "what we assumed to be their last cookies" - it was lemonpuffs we were given. By then I thought they tasted awful, I had to force myself to eat one because of politeness. But then I had another one someplace and I started to like them. Now I seem to be addicted, ha ha. People will think Im crazy comming to this tropical island to eat lemoncookies!

Inga kommentarer: